South Shore Long Island Periodontics & Implantology is proud to be one of the few periodontal practices with Three Board-Certified Periodontists.
What Is “Periodontics”?
Periodontics is a specialized field of dentistry that focuses on preventing, diagnosing, and treating diseases of the surrounding and supportive tissues of the teeth. It also encompasses medical substitutes, such as dental implants and bone and tissue grafting, and the function, health, and esthetics of both these structures and the natural tissues.
Our periodontists, Dr. Leslie Batnick. Dr. Lois Levine, and Dr. Joo Kim, are Diplomates of the American Board of Periodontology. This means that each of them have successfully completed the rigorous examination process to become certified by the American Board of Periodontology.
What Does This Mean?
Each Diplomate of the American Board of Periodontology has achieved far beyond the mandatory requirements needed to claim the title of periodontist.
Board certification entails:
- Completion of either a DDS or DMD degree
- Completion of three or more additional years in an accredited education program in periodontology. This accreditation comes from the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association.
The program must concentrate on diagnosing, treating, and preventing periodontal disease along with tissue regeneration. Participants also study tissue substitutes and maintenance of function, health, and esthetics.
Along with the basic requirement, those seeking board certification must also:
- Pass comprehensive written and oral exams that cover all the phases of periodontal disease, prevention, and treatment, along with dental implants
- Continue their education through self-study and ongoing recertification to demonstrate continued competency
What Does This Mean for Our Patients?
Each of our periodontists has completed this rigorous coursework and examination process. Examination is voluntary and is done by a panel of internationally respected peers. Upon successful completion, the status of Diplomate is awarded.
This status is one of the highest recognitions of achievement in the specialty field of periodontics.
This means that each one of our periodontists has demonstrated:
- Motivation for ongoing professional development
- Commitment to self-evaluation
- Desire for critical review of therapy results
- Interest in providing to our patients the most up-to-date periodontal care available
About the American Board of Periodontology
Founded in 1939, the American Board of Periodontology is committed to elevating standards and advancing both the art and the science of periodontology. As the oldest speciality board recognized by the ADA, the American Board of Periodontology is the only nationally certifying board in the periodontics specialty.
For more than 70 years, the Board has:
- Created and administered a rigorous certification process to identify periodontic experts
- Created and administered a recertification process designed to maintain provider expertise
- Granted and issued Diplomate certification to qualified experts
- Made available a list of board certified Diplomate when requested by patients, hospital administrators, and insurance companies.
- Board-Certified Periodontist
- Gingivitis & Periodontitis
- Scaling & Root Planing (SRP)
- Osseous Surgery
- Periodontal Cosmetic & Plastic Surgery
- Crown Lengthening
- Periodontal Regeneration
- Dental Implants
- Sinus Procedure
- I-CAT® Cone-Beam CT Scan
- Local Delivery of Antibiotics (Arestin)
- Microbiological Culture & Sensitivity Testing
- Professional Maintenance
- Periodontal Maintenance Care at Home
- Bite Adjustment
- Mouth - Body Connection
- Women & Periodontal Disease
- Periodontal Disease in Children & Adolescents
- Tobacco & Periodontal Disease
- Oral Health During Cancer Treatment
- Oral Pathology